———-> English versio
Although crochet is my most favorite craft by far, I did learn to appreciate knitting as well a while ago.
I confess that knitting was not my cup of tea for a long time… until someone gave me the advice to switch to circular needles and to hold the yarn in my left hand (just like it is in crochet). These two small changes made a whole lot of difference to me.
To practice knitting, I made a lovely, chunky baby blanket in a very thick and soft yarn. I chose to work with an icord for the border, because I think it complements the look.
If you don’t know how to make an icord, I’ve posted some video-tutorials below my blog.
This pattern is suitable for a beginning knitter, because (obviously) I’m a beginner too. So if I can do it, you can too! I used a very thick yarn that knits up fast! So before you know it, you will have made a beautiful, soft and chuncky baby blanket.
Skill level: beginner
Techniques you should know to make this blanket:
- icord cast on
- knit an icord
- knit onto an icord
- garther stitch
- start a new color
- icord bind off
- 780 – 1000 meter chunky yarn (850 – 1100 yrds)
For example: Schachenmayr Bravo Big (+- 7 skeins)
- tapestry needle
- knitting needles size 10 mm (US 15)
How to make it:
Always knit garther stitch, unless mentioned otherwise.
- Cast on 3 stitches and knit them.
- Slip stitches to your left needle.
- Knit 3 stitches.
- Pick up stitches along the icord edge until the end of your icord. (See video below.)
- Pick up the 3 cast on stitches from the beginning of your chain. This doesn’t have to be perfect, as long as you pick up 3 stitches in the beginning of your chain, you should be fine.
- Turn. Knit 3, change color, knit to the last 3 stitches. Slip 3 stitches to your right needle. Keer je werk. Brei de eerste 3 steken in de kleur van je icord, zet een nieuwe kleur aan.
- *Knit 2, knit 2 together through the back loop, slip 3 stitches from your right to your left needle* Repeat until you have 6 stitches left (3 on your right and 3 on your left needle).
- Cut your yarn with a long tail. Do an icord cast off.